Canvassing Script 05-30-18
Click here to download a PDF of the script. For internal campaign purposes only. Not for public distribution.
"Hello, my name is ________________. I am a volunteer for Gilda Gularte who is running for City Council here in District 4 and I have a gift for you.”
"This is a phone list of various city services offered to our community and on this side are some of the key issues that are important to Gilda.
"Gilda decided to run after attending a council meeting when she saw a small business forced out of the city without due process and the unfair treatment the owner received by most of the council.
- She opposes the Harmony project, the 3,600-home project that creates a hazard to the environment and is a long term fiscal burden to the city.
- She supports small business and will work to implement sustainable local economic growth by developing a plan to create local living wage paying jobs for Highland residents. Gilda wants our city to be a place where people can find work to support their families.
- She supports fiscal integrity and responsibility. The city council has made some bad financial decisions in the past. For example, they are in negotiations for a 20-year contract with Burrtec. It makes no sense to lock the city into such a contract that allows no flexibility to negotiate for lower rates.
- This city council lacks transparency, residents should have access to their city government meetings through livestreaming, video archive and additional on-line technology. The council needs to encourage the input from the residents and be more transparent in its doings.
At this point we need to listen
- “What issues regarding the city are important to you? (Survey Response #1) (Don’t’ engage, just take notes.)
- We are sending the message that we are aware of the issues that concern the voter and that Gilda is committed to working on these issues and has the competence to resolve them.
“Can we count on your vote for Gilda on November 6th? (Survey Response #2-Undecided, Response #3-Maybe, Response #4-Yes)
“Would you be interested in joining team to get Gilda elected? (Survey Response #5)
“Is it possible for us to post a yard sign?” (Survey Response #5) If so, we will have someone bring it by in the next couple of days.”
“Would you like to have Gilda contact you directly to answer any questions you may have?” (Survey Response #5) If yes, ask for their phone # / email and put in survey.
What should we do if the person tries to engage you in a lengthy conversation? Smile be polite but remember the 3-minute rule.
Say, “I would like to speak with you about your ideas, but I don’t want to take up more of your time. Please visit our website for more information about our campaign. Thank you and have a great rest of your day.”