@chuzyrf8 tweeted link to Thank you!. 2018-08-28 09:37:47 -0700
Thank you to all of the folks who joined us at our 1st Celebrate the Power of Women 2018 event on Saturday, August 25th! A BIG thank you to each of the candidates for allowing us to be a part of their winning team. Please visit our list of candidates that we wholeheartedly endorse for the November 2018 election!
Thank you to each of our sponsors who made our Celebration possible and who will help us ensure our candidates have the resources needed to reach as many voters as possible.
Keep scrolling down to sign-up to help these progressive women win in November!
For a little fun and to stay motivated, here's a playlist of our candidates' power songs that inspire them to keep working for the community! (Plus, some bonus ones!)
@chuzyrf8 tweeted link to Open Letter to Rep Norma Torres. 2018-02-27 09:46:53 -0800Sign the petition in support of the Open Letter to Rep Norma Torres to take action on staffer who assaulted woman http://www.catalinaslist.com/torresopenletter20180227?recruiter_id=17148116 signatures
Open Letter to the Honorable Norma Torres (CA-35)
February 26, 2018
Dear Representative Torres:
When a woman is assaulted by a man who works in your office, we expect you to take action.
We are outraged that you have refused to immediately condemn the actions of your district staffer at the Assembly District 52 endorsing caucus sign-in table late Saturday afternoon during the California Democratic Convention. Your absence on Sunday morning at the Convention was indicative of your awareness of the disturbing situation. A strong statement from you and your office could have done much to answer questions, deescalate the controversy and provide assurance for the safety of all involved, yet you were nowhere to be found.
As you must be aware, there is a video being shared on social media, where your staffer, Daniel Enz, pushes past State Senator Connie Leyva while she was standing at the table. The disturbing video clearly shows that Senator Leyva is forcefully pushed into the table from behind and when confronted by Senator Leyva’s husband, Mr. Enz responded even more violently.
The complete absence of a response from you and your office is unacceptable and not in line with the core values of our community we would expect your office to uphold. We call on you to place Mr. Enz on leave pending a complete investigation of his actions and ask for your commitment to fully comply with any law enforcement investigation.
This is not the first time that members of our delegation have expressed concern over violence towards a woman perpetrated by a man associated with you, a man who remains your appointed alternate to serve on the San Bernardino County Democratic Central Committee. Do not let this become a pattern of condoning violence over political disagreements. We call upon you, your staff, and your supporters to take a course of action utilizing restorative justice measures in relation to this incident and any situation that may be at the cause of such heightened discord. We are willing to work with you and your office to share resources about how this can be accomplished as we are also counting on you to demonstrate that you remain committed to represent our community in a manner befitting the office you hold.
Resa Barillas Martina Ortega Missy Boyd Daniel Peeden Leticia Chavez Bobbi Jo Chavarria Jody Isenberg Stacey Ramos Ana McNaughton James Albert Rick Cordova, Jr. Fernando Hernandez Ana Gonzalez Debbie McAfee
Last fall we gathered together in Fontana to recognize the struggle for water and honor the people at Standing Rock. Since then, we have learned just how much work needs to be done to ensure safe water for all of us, in North Dakota and throughout the world. From a battle with Nestle here in our local San Bernardino mountains and in Michigan, to California emerging from a drought but clean water still endangered by fracking, low reserves and big agriculture.Sign up
It is time for serious discussions and time to join together where we can to continue the movement to reclaim Mother Earth and her resources for all of us, not just corporate interests. If you are interested in getting involved locally and learning more about how we can add our voices for water and environmental justice, please sign up to be informed about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
Bobbi Jo published Volunteer: Bobbi for Fontana Schools 2016 in Bobbi Chavarria for Fontana Schools 2016-09-02 00:09:06 -0700
It is time to organize for the long-term. If we want to see improved policy for our community, and our children, most of all, we have work to do.
JOIN Catalina's List today.
We will work to bring step-by-step education and training to Progressive women in the Inland Valley and beyond -- for civic engagement and empowerment.Sign up
@chuzyrf8 tweeted link to I wil Vote! Perfect Participation Pledge. 2018-08-03 21:47:50 -0700Feel the power of my voice: I just pledged to vote. My voice matters, every vote counts & I take civic responsibility seriously! http://www.catalinaslist.com/perfectparticipation?recruiter_id=171481
Since 2012, the average voter turnout in the numerous special elections in San Bernardino and Riverside counties has been dismal.
Some issues and races were decided with up to 90% of the voters not even casting a vote.
Additionally, vacancies on boards and commissions have, more often than not, been decided by an appointment process where the successors were already decided before accepting applicants.
All of this is a huge problem.
Cesar Chavez said that we don't need a perfect democracy, but perfect participation. It is imperative to vote in every election. It is important that elected officials know that we are paying attention, that we know the issues and that we are using the first avenue afforded us in this democracy. For far too long, a small minority of voters, corporate interests and out-of-touch community members have been determining what is best.
Will you pledge to add your voice and let our elected officials know that:
- YOU are paying attention
- we will hold them accountable to do the right thing for the community
- we have their back when they do the right thing!
- we will vote them out when they don't do the right thing!
As a member of Catalina's List, you can support our mission at any level that works for you! As time permits, your membership means we can count on you to attend workshops, trainings and volunteer on the candidate and issue campaigns that speak to you! Join today and we'll help you decide if 2 hours a day, a week, or a month works best for you!Sister Friend: Purchase for $15.00 every month
Sister Friend: Purchase for $45.00 every 3 months
Sister Friend: Purchase for $90.00 every 6 months
Sister Friend: Purchase for $180.00 every year
Director: Purchase for $1,000.00 every year
Positivity Supporter: Purchase for $5.00 every month
Student/Retired: Purchase for $7.50 every month
Wisdom Circle: Purchase for $15.00 every month
Wisdom Circle: Purchase for $25.00 every month
Wisdom Circle: Purchase for $300.00 every 12 months
Progressive Activist and Community Organizer
Bobbi Jo Chavarria has been involved in human rights and peace activism since joining the campaign for a U.S. Department of Peacebuilding in 2006. That decision has changed the direction of her professional career. Retiring from a long-time career in direct sales and management, Bobbi Jo turned her focus to global issues of peace, conflict-resolution and nonviolence.
It was the inspiration of five cousins, a nephew, and a family friend serving in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars that prompted her to begin to serve her country and community with as much dedication and commitment as they were demonstrating in their service. And it was the birth of her first son that brought her focus to her neighborhood and city.
- Established the Inland Empire Do Peace and Nonviolence Alliance (iedopna.blogspot.com)
- Worked with California Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
- Helped guide the formation of three local neighborhood chapters of community residents to address concerns and issues such as street safety, crime prevention, improved education, and increased youth activities
- Worked with homeowners throughout the Inland Empire to address the foreclosure crisis, sub-prime, and often predatory lending practices
- Hosted two large foreclosure prevention workshops assisting over 300 families
- Participated in workshops hosted by local legislators
- Held weekly intake sessions providing assistance to homeowners in completing paperwork to begin working with nonprofit loan counselors
Her organizational involvement includes the following:
- Elected delegate, San Bernardino County Democratic Party (2016-2020)
- SB County Delegate, California Democratic Party (2017-2018, 2019-2020)
- Co-Founder, Catalina's List
- Vice Chair, Sierra Club, San Gorgonio Chapter
- Founder, Inland Empire DoPeace and Nonviolence Alliance (IEDOPNA)
- The Peace Alliance, National Campaign - Regional Action Team Leader
- GROW Fontana (Grassroots Rising and Organizing to Win)
- Inland Coalition for Immigrant Justice
- Inland Empire Democratic Socialists of America (IE DSA), Organizing Committee
- Founder and Organizing Team Member, Progressive Alliance of the Inland Empire
- Co-founder and grassroots leader, Inland Empire for Our Revolution (formerly Inland Empire for Bernie and San Bernardino County for Bernie)
- National Delegate 2016 to Democratic Convention
She also supports:
- Reform Immigration for America
- Veterans for Peace
- Citizens Action for Peace
- Inland Communities Fellowship of Reconciliation (IC FOR)
- Equality Inland Empire
- Sierra Club National
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Planned Parenthood
- Women's Action for New Directions
- Human Rights Campaign
- Amnesty International
- Progressive Christians United
- Soka Gakai International - USA
- Medicare for All
- California One Care
- Health Care for America Now
- Democracy for America
- Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE)
Both graduates of Fontana High School, she and her husband, Gil, have been homeowners in Fontana since December 1993, and have two sons, born in 2008 and 2012, and a cat.