Bobbi Jo Chavarria rsvped for National Voter Registration Day - Community Partner since 2014 on Facebook 2017-09-03 21:28:59 -0700
We’re excited to once again be part of a national effort to strengthen our community by registering hundreds of voters on September 26, 2017, also known as National Voter Registration Day.
First started for the 2012 presidential election, National Voter Registration Day has become a 50-state holiday where thousands of organizations and volunteers organize to ensure our family, friends, and neighbors are registered to vote.
Why register in 2017, you may ask? Our answer: States, cities, counties and towns have big elections this fall.
Primaries for next year’s state and national elections are months away. As a nonpartisan coalition of organizations,National Voter Registration Day is the perfect opportunity to get involved no matter what party you support or which issues matter most to you.
I invite you to register to vote and learn more at www.NationalVoterRegistrationDay.org and use
#NationalVoterRegistrationDay on social media to spread the word!
Once you’re registered to vote, there’s a lot of other ways you can get involved:
• Join Catalina's List and our partners at one of our National Voter Registration Day events (more info soon on events throughout the Inland Empire).
• Step up to host your own local event with your family, friends, and neighbors to make sure everyone you know is registered.
• Get reminders via email or text message so you don’t forget September 26 is the big day!
We’re really excited to be able to join hundreds of groups across America for this important national holiday.WHENSeptember 26, 2017 at 8amWHEREThroughout the Inland Empire - stay updated!
Inland Empire, CA 92507
Google map and directions
Bobbi Jo Chavarria answered 2017-05-21 23:46:13 -0700Q: Would you be willing to work for change in the SBCDCC?
Last fall we gathered together in Fontana to recognize the struggle for water and honor the people at Standing Rock. Since then, we have learned just how much work needs to be done to ensure safe water for all of us, in North Dakota and throughout the world. From a battle with Nestle here in our local San Bernardino mountains and in Michigan, to California emerging from a drought but clean water still endangered by fracking, low reserves and big agriculture.Sign up
It is time for serious discussions and time to join together where we can to continue the movement to reclaim Mother Earth and her resources for all of us, not just corporate interests. If you are interested in getting involved locally and learning more about how we can add our voices for water and environmental justice, please sign up to be informed about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
Bobbi Jo Chavarria posted about Tell Obama: VETO the 21st Century Cures Act on Facebook 2016-12-09 09:41:40 -0800Sign the petition: Tell Obama, VETO the 21st Century Cures Act6 signatures
"At a time when Americans pay, by far, the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs, this bill provides absolutely no relief for soaring drug prices. The greed of the pharmaceutical industry has no limit, and this bill includes numerous corporate giveaways that will make drug companies even richer. Further, this bill cuts Medicare and Medicaid by $1 billion, while not even guaranteeing funding for medical research or substance abuse treatment.
"This is a bad bill which should not be passed in its current form. It's time for Congress to stand up to the world's biggest pharmaceutical companies, not give them more handouts." -Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
After passing the Senate yesterday with a 94-5 vote, the bill heads directly to Obama's desk for his signature. We are asking that he VETO this bill.
Bobbi Jo Chavarria published Volunteer: Bobbi for Fontana Schools 2016 in Bobbi Chavarria for Fontana Schools 2016-09-02 00:09:06 -0700
It is time to organize for the long-term. If we want to see improved policy for our community, and our children, most of all, we have work to do.
JOIN Catalina's List today.
We will work to bring step-by-step education and training to Progressive women in the Inland Valley and beyond -- for civic engagement and empowerment.Sign up
Bobbi Jo Chavarria pledged support 2014-04-03 18:46:54 -0700Count me in!1,276 votes
Since 2012, the average voter turnout in the numerous special elections in San Bernardino and Riverside counties has been dismal.
Some issues and races were decided with up to 90% of the voters not even casting a vote.
Additionally, vacancies on boards and commissions have, more often than not, been decided by an appointment process where the successors were already decided before accepting applicants.
All of this is a huge problem.
Cesar Chavez said that we don't need a perfect democracy, but perfect participation. It is imperative to vote in every election. It is important that elected officials know that we are paying attention, that we know the issues and that we are using the first avenue afforded us in this democracy. For far too long, a small minority of voters, corporate interests and out-of-touch community members have been determining what is best.
Will you pledge to add your voice and let our elected officials know that YOU are paying attention and that together, we will hold them accountable to do the right thing for the community and have their back when they do? And, that we will vote them out when they don't.Pledge your vote
As a member of Catalina's List, you can support our mission at any level that works for you! As time permits, your membership means we can count on you to attend workshops, trainings and volunteer on the candidate and issue campaigns that speak to you! Join today and we'll help you decide if 2 hours a day, a week, or a month works best for you!Sister Friend: Purchase for $15.00 every month
Sister Friend: Purchase for $45.00 every 3 months
Sister Friend: Purchase for $90.00 every 6 months
Sister Friend: Purchase for $180.00 every year
Director: Purchase for $1,000.00 every year
Positivity Supporter: Purchase for $5.00 every month
Student/Retired: Purchase for $7.50 every month
Wisdom Circle: Purchase for $15.00 every month
Wisdom Circle: Purchase for $25.00 every month
Wisdom Circle: Purchase for $300.00 every 12 months
Progressive Democrat and Activist
Bobbi Jo Chavarria has been involved in human rights and peace activism since joining the campaign for a U.S. Department of Peacebuilding in 2006. That decision has changed the direction of her professional career. Retiring from a long-time career in direct sales and management, Bobbi Jo turned her focus to global issues of peace, conflict-resolution and nonviolence.
It was the inspiration of five cousins, a nephew, and a family friend serving in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars that prompted her to begin to serve her country and community with as much dedication and commitment as they were demonstrating in their service. And it was the birth of her first son that brought her focus to her neighborhood and city.
- Established the Inland Empire Do Peace and Nonviolence Alliance (iedopna.blogspot.com)
- Worked with California Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
- Helped guide the formation of three local neighborhood chapters of community residents to address concerns and issues such as street safety, crime prevention, improved education, and increased youth activities
- Worked with homeowners throughout the Inland Empire to address the foreclosure crisis, sub-prime, and often predatory lending practices
- Hosted two large foreclosure prevention workshops assisting over 300 families
- Participated in workshops hosted by local legislators
- Held weekly intake sessions providing assistance to homeowners in completing paperwork to begin working with nonprofit loan counselors
Her organizational involvement includes the following:
- Elected delegate, San Bernardino County Democratic Party (2016-2020)
- Co-Founder, Catalina's List
- Vice Chair, Sierra Club, San Gorgonio Chapter, Executive Committee
- Member, AD 47 Environmental Justice Advisory Committee
- Member, AD 47 Social Justice Advisory Committee
- Founder, Inland Empire DoPeace and Nonviolence Alliance (IEDOPNA)
- The Peace Alliance, Regional Action Team Leader
- GROW Fontana (Grassroots Rising and Organizing to Win)
- Reform Immigration for America
- Inland Coalition for Immigrant Justice
- Inland Empire Democratic Socialists of America (IE DSA), Organizing Committee
- Organizing Team, Progressive Alliance of the Inland Empire
- Co-founder and grassroots leader, Inland Empire for Bernie and San Bernardino County for Bernie
- National Delegate 2016 to Democratic Convention
She also supports:
- Veterans for Peace
- Citizens Action for Peace
- Inland Communities Fellowship of Reconciliation (IC FOR)
- Equality Inland Empire
- Sierra Club National
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Planned Parenthood
- Women's Action for New Directions
- Human Rights Campaign
- Amnesty International
- Progressive Christians United
- California One Care
- Health Care for America Now
- Democracy for America
- Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE)
Both graduates of Fontana High School, she and her husband, Gil, have been homeowners in Fontana since December 1993, and have two sons, born in December 2008 and June 2012, and a cat.